Wednesday, September 23, 2009

No High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup - A Condiment Review

Amy and I were discussing eliminating as much high-fructose corn syrup from our diets as possible.

I went out for some shopping the very next day and ketchup was on my list. Lo, and behold! Our local grocery chain, H.E.B., had 'No HFCS' ketchup for sale. I grabbed a bottle.

Aroma - Smells just like normal ketchup

Color - For some reason I was expecting it to be brown and nasty-looking. I have no idea why. It was a lovely bright red, just like regular ketchup.

Texture - At the risk of sounding like a broken record: It was just like regular ketchup.

Taste - Aha! A difference! It was a bit tangier/spicier than ketchup containing HCFS, which is to be expected since HFCS is generally used as a sweetener. I think I like it better this way.

So, all in all, a slight improvement. If you see some in a market near you, give it a try! Apparently, Heinz organic tomato ketchup contains no HCFS, so if you don't live near an H.E.B. (which are only in San Antonio I think) you can try that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Easier solution -- don't eat ketchup.

eyebeat said...

HFCS is a cheap alternative to sucrose. It doesn't taste as good but it increases the profit margin.